Monday, January 6, 2014

A Year in Hexies

I was perusing Facebook the other day and saw someone mention that they are doing a Mood Calendar CAL (crochet along). I was curious, so I ran to Google to find out more about it. I found the site hosting the CAL (need to add link later from my pc) found here http://cozyontheprairies.blogspot.com/2013/12/inspiration-mood-blanket-2014-challenge.html  which consisted of making a granny square a day all year long, and the color each day would reflect your basic mood that day.
I liked the idea, but after toying around decided to alter it into my own year long project.
I am making one small hexagon a day, every day for all of 2014 (exact pattern for the hexies found here http://crochetincolor.blogspot.com/2013/08/hexagon-pattern.html ) in any random color my kids choose. Nearly all will be Red Heart Super Saver or Red Heart With Love as the kids will be choosing from my current stash. Occasionally there will be a Caron One Pound or mystery yarn I obtained with no label at Goodwill .  I decided on hexagons because they lend better to a grand total of 365 if I use the last 7 to make a pillow to go with the afghan, and simply because I have never made anything from them before.
I did decide to make most days solid colors, but holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries will be made from vaerigated yarns or involve a color change in the rounds so they stand out a bit. Hopefully I can make those at least somewhat reflect the holiday they mark with the colors I use.
Since I decided on this project on January 4th and really wanted to finish the project entirely in 2014, I quickly ripped out 4 hexies and stitched them together in whatever yarns were close to where I sat. 
Yay for being all caught up! I choose to celebrate that while I still can because I have tremendous difficulty sticking to long term projects. ;)
From that point on, any non holiday hexie yarns will be chosen by my kids. 
Child #2 went first as he was standing closest to me when I decided to let them pick the colors.  Child #3 chose the next day because she isn't very good at waiting. Child #1 is last because he is the eldest and has the most patience. :)  I will continue to rotate in that order to keep it fair to all my little monsters.
Im still trying to decide if I should post a picture weekly or monthly, but for now I will add a picture of what the first week looks like. I hope you like it, and feel free to join me in this project. I'd love to have company to keep me motivated!

No comments:

Post a Comment